This month’s blogging #WinePW group wrote about picnics and canned wine. While I was not an early adopter of drinking canned wine, an article I read by someone I respect convinced me that bubbles in a can were the way to go and I decided to dive in to the topic.
I drove to a nearby Total Wine shop and discovered that canned wine is not quite so easy to spot on the shelves since it is places in the beer, spritzer, wine cooler, and everything else area. After asking four salespeople, I found a small number of canned and bought them all.
This one called Dark Horse from California was the most interesting of the ones I tried. The website is not that informative in terms of grapes, processes, etc but the wine was a great pairing with the Belmont Stakes which I watched. The joy on the faces of the owners of Mo Donegal who won the race was a thing to celebrate. New York race, New York owners, New York winner.
Since yesterday was National Rosé Day, I also tried a canned rosé, this one from the McBride Sisters who I wrote about here. This one I paired with a hot dog at lunch. My favorite summer food. I love hot dogs, everyone in my family loves hot dogs. We joke about how its in our DNA because my grandfather’s family sold hot dogs on the beach in Staten Island in the 1910-1920s in the summer. At least that’s family lore. In the Winter they had a restaurant on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and in the summer, moved to South Beach on Staten Island.
Whatever the reasons behind it, I love hot dogs and canned wine, especially bubbles is a perfect match for this summer classic.
Formerly I refused to drink wine in cans until two very smart and knowledgeable wine people convinced me of the error of my ways. One is a retail owner of note who reminded me how portable this wines are, great for hiking, boating, camping, and for the environment. I listened and now have another four kinds for my next picnic.
Check out the articles written below for tips on wines and picnic foods:
- A Portable Orange Chardonnay Seltzer Perfect for a Picnic by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Canned Bubbles and Hot Dogs – A Taste of Summer by Avvinare
- Convenience and Flavor with Canned Wines from Argentina for a Backyard Picnic by Crushed Grape Chronicles
- (Easily) Portable Wine for Summer Picnicking by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Picnicking with Le Petit Verre Canned Bubbly Rosé by Our Good Life
- Pro-Tip for the Chief Picnic Operator – Don’t Forget theCanned Wines by Grape Experiences
- Summer Sippers: Decoy In a Can in the Sierra by Wine Predator…Gwendolyn Alley
- Yes, SHE CAN Picnic with McBride Sisters Canned Rosé by My Full Wine Glass