Wine Wednesday: Quaquarini Cruase


My wine this week hails from Lombardy and is called Quaquarini Cruase. It is a sparkling wine made in the traditional method in Lombardy. I tried it during Vinitaly at the Vivit section as it is made wtih organic grapes. The Quaquarini family is currently in its third generation running the winery located in Canneto Pavese. They are part of a movement called Associazione Produttori del Classese that groups together the most qualified producers of sparkling wines from the Oltrepò Pavese. OltrePo Pavese sparkling wines became a DOCG in 2007. To be called Cruase or Pinot Nero Rose Spumante, they have at least a minimum of 85% Pinot Nero. The remaining 15% can be Chardonnay, Pinot Bianco, and/or Pinot Grigio.

I liked this wine although it was quite fruity but then again, so are many rose’ wines. I wonder if the name could catch on here in the States. Cruase as a name can be used by Consorzio members for their Pinot Nero Rosé Spumante only.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.